Sunday, November 7, 2010

Korea's Shin wins Mizuno Classic golf

Koreas Shin wins Mizuno Classic golf


SHIMA, Japan (AFP) – South Korea's Shin Ji-Yai kept the lead from the first round to win the USLPGA Tour Mizuno Classic women's golf tournament after hitting a bogey-free 67 at the Kintetsu Kashikojima course on Sunday.
Starting the day with a two-stroke lead, Shin -- last year's top money earner -- sank five birdies for a three-round total of 18-under-par 198, two strokes ahead of Tseng Yani of Taiwan.
Tseng tied with Shin with her sixth birdie on the 11th hole, while the Korean had par on the same hole.
But Tseng failed to add another as Shin birdied the 13th and 16th holes to reclaim the title she won in 2008, earning 180,000 dollars.
"The first hole I made a birdie and after that I got more confident. But Yani was playing very well. On the 11th hole she made a birdie and we were tied, so I was really, really nervous," said Shin, 22.
"We still had more par-fives and she is a long hitter. So I was worried about the long par-fives where she can make the easy birdies. But she made a couple of mistakes and I made a really good birdie on 16. It feels good to win."
Shin said she had felt pressure in the morning, because after winning the Evian Masters in France in July, she had not won a title for a few months.
"I have a really good feeling. I'm going to take it easy for the next couple of weeks and then head to LPGATour Championship. I want to play well there because the Tour Championship is the last tournament of the year.
"If I have good play there, it will make a warm winter," added Shin.
Meanwhile, Tseng said: "I really tried my best. I think I did that very well. But I didn't make any birdies on the last seven holes and I was kind of upset.
"I really did my best. Jiyai just played so consistently. She is a great player, a very good, competitive player."
It was Shin's second title on both the US Tour and Japan Tour this season.
American Stacy Lewis finished third on 201, followed by Japan's Miki Saiki on 204 and, a stroke further back, Brittany Lincicome of the United States, Choi Na-Yeon of South Korea and Japan's Mika Miyazato on 205.

No comments:

Post a Comment